Evan Agostini, AP
1. Her mother was an opera singer and vocal coach (she had to get it from somewhere!)
2. She was discovered at a party after handing her demo to Columbia Records exec Tommy Mottola, who later became her first husband.
3. Mariah had the nickname "Mirage" in high school, because she never showed up for classes.
4. She is a practicing Episcopalian.
5. Mariah has won a five Grammy Awards, and has received a whopping 34 nominations total.
6. With 18 Billboard Hot 100 chart-toppers, Mariah holds the record for the most No. 1s by a female artist.
7. Of all of her No. 1 hits, 2005's "We Belong Together" spent the most time at the top of the charts with a 14-week run.
8. She was named after the song "They Call The Wind Maria" (pronounced "Mariah"), from the popular Lerner & Loewe musical "Paint Your Wagon."
9. Her favorite actress is Marylin Monroe, who is the namesake for her daughter Monroe Cannon.
10. In 1999, she bought Marilyn Monroe's white baby grand piano at auction for over $600,000!
- Adele's Friend's Internet Post Got Her Discovered
- Keith Wouldn't Have Met Nicole If Not for a Twist of Fate
- A Chance Encounter at a Gas Station Helped Chris' Career
- Justin's YouTube Videos Got Him Discovered
- Kanye Walked Away From a Horrific Car Crash, Then Wrote a Hit Song About It
- A Chance Encounter at a Party Got Mariah a Record Deal
- Boy George Was Standing in the Right Place at the Right Time
- Greyson's School Assembly Performance Went Viral
- Jason Derulo Was Inches Away From Being Paralyzed
- Singing in a Library Scored Avril a Manager
- Boy Bands: Where Are They Now?
- 98 Degrees Then
- 98 Degrees Now
- Hanson Then
- Hanson Now
- O-Town Then
- O-Town Now
- Color Me Badd Then
- Color Me Badd Now
- LFO Then
- LFO Recently
- Naked Brothers Band Then
- Naked Brothers Band Now
- B2K Then
- B2K Now
- Take That Then
- Take That Now
- Westlife Then
- Westlife Now
- Stars Who Have a Type
- Jennifer Lopez: Bald Backup Dancers
- Justin Bieber: Lovely Latina Ladies
- Madonna: Much Younger Foreign Guys
- Jessica Simpson: The Super Buff, Athletic Type
- Justin Timberlake: Buff, Blonde Babes
- Rihanna: Guys With Lighter Complexions and High Cheekbones
- Taylor Swift: Cradle Robbers
- Accident-Prone Pop Stars
- Kelly Osbourne
- Justin Bieber
- Jessie J
- SkyBlu of LMFAO
- Sean "Diddy" Combs
- Musicians Who Look Like Cartoon Characters
- Taylor Momsen and Kung Fu Panda
- Taylor Swift and a Japanese Anime Character
- Miley Cyrus and a Chipette from Alvin and the Chipmunks
- Nicki Minaj and Rainbow Brite
- Fergie and Janice from the Muppets
- Rihanna and Cleo, the fish from Pinocchio
- Nicole Scherzinger and Jasmine from Aladdin