Daniel Boczarski, Getty Images
"Oh my God ... Somebody's killed my mother," Julia Hudson says, while a dispatcher tries to get her to calm down and repeat her address. "She's on the floor and I see blood coming from her head."
A judge in Chicago released the tape after a request by the Chicago Tribune, Sun-Times Media and The Associated Press. The tape was played in open court last week during the trial of William Balfour, who is accused of killing the actress' mother, brother and 7-year-old nephew.
Prosecutors tried to bar the tape's release because of the sensitive nature of the case and because the jury has not begun deliberating.
But Cook County Judge Charles Burns noted in his ruling that the jury has been warned not to watch or read news reports about the case. Burns said there's no evidence Balfour's due process rights would be harmed.
On the tape, Julia Hudson begs a dispatcher for help after finding her mother shot dead inside the family's home on Chicago's South Side.
Hudson's horror and confusion are apparent on the tape as she wonders aloud, "Where my brother at? What happened?"
She also cries in panic that she doesn't know the location of her son, 7-year-old Julian.
"I don't know where Julian is or nothing and I'm here by myself," she says. She tells the dispatcher she "just got home from work" and "there's a bullet hole in our front door."
Balfour has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder charges in the October 2008 killings.
Check Out Jennifer Hudson in Our Top 10 Reality Show Musicians Gallery
- 10. Susan Boyle
- 9. Javier Colon
- 8. Rachel Crow
- 7. David Archuleta
- 6. Melanie Amaro
- 5. Scotty McCreery
- 4. Jennifer Hudson
- 3. Carrie Underwood
- 2. David Cook
- 1. Kelly Clarkson
- Accident-Prone Pop Stars
- Kelly Osbourne
- Justin Bieber
- Jessie J
- SkyBlu of LMFAO
- Sean "Diddy" Combs
- Musicians Who Look Like Cartoon Characters
- Taylor Momsen and Kung Fu Panda
- Taylor Swift and a Japanese Anime Character
- Miley Cyrus and a Chipette from Alvin and the Chipmunks
- Nicki Minaj and Rainbow Brite
- Fergie and Janice from the Muppets
- Rihanna and Cleo, the fish from Pinocchio
- Nicole Scherzinger and Jasmine from Aladdin
- Katy Perry's Red Carpet Fashion Through the Years
- Katy at Esquire Magazine's 'The Envelope Please' Oscar Viewing Party
- Katy at Step-Up's Fourth Annual "Fashion Forward
- Katy in Concert in Berlin
- Katy at VH1's 14th Annual Critics' Choice Awards
- Katy at the 2009 Grammy Salute to Industry Icons
- Katy at the 51st Annual Grammy Awards
- Katy at the 51st Annual Grammy Awards Press Room
- Katy on the The 52nd Annual GRAMMY Award's Red Carpet
- Katy at the 2010 EMI Grammy Party
- Katy at the 2010 American Music Awards
- Katy at the 2011 Logie Awards
- Katy at the 53rd Annual Grammy Awards
"Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL."