Charles Sykes, AP
While Clarkson does her best to mentor music industry hopefuls on the singing competition show "Duets," the former "American Idol" champ confesses she never got the nurturing and guidance she needed as a teen on the talent show that launched her into super stardom. "I'm going to be completely honest -- I had no one looking out for me," Kelly told the magazine. "They were looking out for the show, and it was horrible," she admitted. "I was 19 years old. I was smart enough to know that it wasn't about me, but that didn't make it any easier," Clarkson revealed of the hit show during its premiere season.
Of course, the "Dark Side" singer, now 30, has developed quite a thicker skin since then -- but not before seriously considering leaving the business all together. "I'm all cried out about it, but my first four years, I hated my life; I almost quit a dozen times."
These days the jaded performer says she's learning what real happiness is -- and admits she's a little fearful of losing it all. "'Where's the kick in the ass?' I told my assistant that today," Kel shares. "I'm just waiting for something to blow up!' She [my assistant] said, 'No, that's what happiness is!'"
So who exactly is making Kel so full of bliss? That would be new boyfriend, talent manager Brandon Blackstock. "Brandon does -- he makes me happy," reveals Kelly.
- She Thinks Her Small Chest Size Is a Blessing in Disguise
- Her Favorite Party Ever Was a 'White Trash'-Themed Bash
- She's a Spanx Super Fan
- Kelly Has 13 Tattoos to Date
- She's Greek ... And Drinks Olive Oil
- She's an Odd Jobs Extraordinaire
- Her Very First "American Idol" Audition Song Was ...
- The First CDs She Ever Bought Were ...
- Annie Lennox Is Her Not-So-American Idol
- Her Favorite Birthday Treat Is Red Velvet Cake
- Recent Celebrity Splits
- Simon Cowell and Mezhgan Hussainy
- Katy Perry and Russell Brand
- Heidi Klum and Seal
- Ashley Tisdale and Scott Spears
- Johnny Depp and Vanessa Paradis
- Stars Who Have a Type
- Jennifer Lopez: Bald Backup Dancers
- Justin Bieber: Lovely Latina Ladies
- Madonna: Much Younger Foreign Guys
- Jessica Simpson: The Super Buff, Athletic Type
- Justin Timberlake: Buff, Blonde Babes
- Rihanna: Guys With Lighter Complexions and High Cheekbones
- Taylor Swift: Cradle Robbers
- Top Weddings of 2012
- Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel
- Jennifer Hudson and David Otunga
- Hillary Scott and Chris Tyrell
- Ne-Yo and Monyetta Shaw
- Steven Tyler and Erin Brady
- John Legend and Chrissy Teigen
- Jessica Simpson and Eric Johnson
- Britney Spears and Jason Trawick