The panel of eight women and four mean was selected Thursday to hear claims by Spears' former confidante and manager, Sam Lutfi, that the singer's mother defamed him. He also claims he has been unfairly blamed for the singer's issues and is owed a share of the singer's fortune for work on Spears' album Blackout and other duties.
Opening statements are expected later Thursday.
The pop superstar remains under a court-ordered conservatorship and is not expected to testify during the trial. Her co-conservators are her father and her fiance.
Spears' parents, Jamie and Lynne Spears, and attorneys for her conservators have denied wrongdoing.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
- Katy Perry's Red Carpet Fashion Through the Years
- Katy at Esquire Magazine's 'The Envelope Please' Oscar Viewing Party
- Katy at Step-Up's Fourth Annual "Fashion Forward
- Katy in Concert in Berlin
- Katy at VH1's 14th Annual Critics' Choice Awards
- Katy at the 2009 Grammy Salute to Industry Icons
- Katy at the 51st Annual Grammy Awards
- Katy at the 51st Annual Grammy Awards Press Room
- Katy on the The 52nd Annual GRAMMY Award's Red Carpet
- Katy at the 2010 EMI Grammy Party
- Katy at the 2010 American Music Awards
- Katy at the 2011 Logie Awards
- Katy at the 53rd Annual Grammy Awards
- Musicians Who Look Like Cartoon Characters
- Taylor Momsen and Kung Fu Panda
- Taylor Swift and a Japanese Anime Character
- Miley Cyrus and a Chipette from Alvin and the Chipmunks
- Nicki Minaj and Rainbow Brite
- Fergie and Janice from the Muppets
- Rihanna and Cleo, the fish from Pinocchio
- Nicole Scherzinger and Jasmine from Aladdin
- Accident-Prone Pop Stars
- Kelly Osbourne
- Justin Bieber
- Jessie J
- SkyBlu of LMFAO
- Sean "Diddy" Combs