Stephen Lovekin, Getty Images
"I thought my year was over!" Katy admitted to Billboard upon hearing the news. "I like to be viewed as a strong woman and I think that's what Billboard is basically saying," she added.
It's been a whirlwind year for Katy. She started off 2012 on a low note, with a divorce from now-ex husband Russell Brand. But the 28-year-old songstress managed to come out on top in her professional life, with the hit re-release album, Teenage Dream: The Complete Confection. "Part of Me," the lead single off the album, earned the pop star her seventh career No. 1.
Katy also made her silver screen debut with her 3D concert documentary "Katy Perry: Part of Me."
The singer was sure to acknowledge the amazing female musicians who have come before her and inspired her along the way, including Ella Fitzgerald and Alanis Morissette. "Jagged Little Pill by Alanis Morissette -- every single song struck a chord, an emotional chord inside of me," she said.
"I'm excited for the next evolution -- it will be an evolution," Katy revealed, looking ahead.
The pop star will officially accept the honor at the 2012 Billboard Women in Music event in New York City later today (Nov. 30).
See Katy in Our "Celebrities With a Drag Queen Twin" Photo Gallery
- Lil Mama
- Lady Gaga
- Jessie J
- Katy Perry
- Lil' Kim
- Celebrity Makeup Makeovers
- Kelly Osbourne
- Christina Aguilera
- Nicki Minaj
- Taylor Momsen
- Lily Allen
- Can You Believe They're the Same Age?
- Lindsay Lohan and Dianna Agron
- Adele and Hayley Williams
- Florence Welch and Lea Michele
- Lady Gaga and Mary-Kate Olsen
- Fantasia Barrino and Avril Lavigne
- Miranda Cosgrove and Taylor Momsen
- T-Pain and Carly Rae Jepsen
- Musicians' Bodies After Baby
- Beyonce Before, During and After Pregnancy
- Jennifer Lopez Before, During and After Pregnancy
- Hilary Duff Before, During and After Pregnancy
- Britney Spears Before, During and After Pregnancy
- Jessica Simpson Before, During and After Pregnancy
- Pink Before, During and After Pregnancy
- Jennifer Hudson Before, During and After Pregnancy