Appearing on the January 2013 cover of VOGUE, Gwen confessed to the mag that finding the time to record the group's sixth album Push and Shove was difficult.
"Getting to the studio and not being able to make it happen, but missing out on being at home, missing out on putting the kids down. What's more important? I felt so guilty," she shared. "[I thought] 'I am letting everyone down in the studio right now; I'm letting down my kids; I'm letting down myself.' Because time was so precious."
Gwen also revealed how hard it was to handle motherhood while Rossdale was touring with Bush in 2011, leaving her to solely take care of their kids, 6-year-old Kingston and 4-year-old Zuma.
"I mean, he was there for me mentally, but physically? These boys are physical," she explained. "They wake up and they start punching each other! One thing we've had in our relationship the whole time is that we can have it both ways: together, not together, and it's fine. But when you have kids? It's not so great. They need him. Once you have a family, it's just so obvious how everyone needs each other. So it's really nice to have him back."
Looking back, Gwen knows the road wasn't easy balancing work with kids.
"I did my first solo record and went on tour while I was pregnant," she recalled. "I would want to throw up during certain songs. Certain outfits would make me sick. It was torture. I toured until I was four and a half months pregnant, showing," she said. "I came home and had Kingston, and when he was eight months old, I went back on the road. I nursed him for 14 months, so I would literally do my hair and makeup, go back to the bus, nurse him, put him down, and walk out onstage. And I did that for 100 shows."
Despite the hard times, Gwen says she's proud to be a mother and loves the rewards that the role comes with it.
"It's super fun being a mom, but it's not what you think it's going to be," she shared. "And it's really gradual ... and as they grow older, it really does start to change your life."
Gwen says she feels lucky to have Gavin by her side for the ride. "You have to work at it," she said. "But, actually, it's fun to get to this point. Because you learn so much about somebody ... and obviously, you get stronger. And then having kids takes the whole relationship to another place. It is the ultimate collaboration. Both of us have such strong opinions about how it should be, and it's really fun to do it together."
The couple have been married for 10 years.
- Lourdes Leon
- Kingston Rossdale
- Zuma Rossdale
- Willow Smith
- Jaden Smith
- Zoe Kravitz
- Liv Tyler
- Aoki Lee Simmons and Ming Lee Simmons
- Vanessa and Angela Simmons
- Future Baby Jayonce
- Teen Idols Who Lived a Cursed Life
- Andy Gibb
- Aaron Carter
- Bobby Brown
- Leif Garrett
- Danny Bonaduce
- PJ Proby
- Movie Stars With Secret Musical Pasts
- Steven Seagal, 'Songs From the Crystal Cave'
- Clint Eastwood, 'Rawhide's Clint Eastwood Sings Cowboy Favorites'
- Robert Downey, Jr., 'The Futurist'
- John Travolta, 'Let Her In'
- Alyssa Milano, 'Look in My Heart'
- Leonard Nimoy, 'Leonard Nimoy Presents Mr. Spock's Music From Outer Space'
- Ryan Gosling, 'Dead Man's Bones'
- Peter Gallagher, '7 Days in Memphis'
- Brian Austin Green, 'One Stop Carnival'
- Celebrity Makeup Makeovers
- Kelly Osbourne
- Christina Aguilera
- Nicki Minaj
- Taylor Momsen
- Lily Allen
- Celebrities Who Married Young - Barely Legal Brides!
- LeAnn Rimes Was a Bride at 19
- Avril Lavigne Was 21 When She Walked Down the Aisle
- Hilary Duff Said 'I Do' at 22
- Kevin Jonas Proposed at 21, Married at 22
- For Hanson, Marrying Young Runs in the Family
- Kate Hudson Married at 21 After Dating Just a Year
- Solange Got Married in a Hurry
- Can You Believe They're the Same Age?
- Lindsay Lohan and Dianna Agron
- Adele and Hayley Williams
- Florence Welch and Lea Michele
- Lady Gaga and Mary-Kate Olsen
- Fantasia Barrino and Avril Lavigne
- Miranda Cosgrove and Taylor Momsen
- T-Pain and Carly Rae Jepsen