Todd Williamson, Getty Images for InStyle
"We've known each other for years, but we didn't start talking until the Super Bowl last February," Kelly tells Cosmopolitan. Days later, Clarkson went out on her first date with Blackstock on February 11, 2012 -- the same day that the legendary Whitney Houston was found dead after drowning in her hotel room bathroom.
"This is the funniest/worst thing ever," Kelly says. "One of my superhero idols is Whitney Houston, and the day she died was our first date. I was like 'This is a bad omen.'"
Luckily, it's so far so good for the newly engaged couple. "Brandon's totally the one. I've never been so happy," Kelly gushes, calling the night he proposed "the happiest night of my life."
"Six years I was single before this. I've never been truly loved like I am right now."
"See Our Kelly-Inspired "Celebrities' Over-the-Top Engagement Rings" Gallery
- Beyonce, From Jay-Z
- Mariah Carey, From Nick Cannon
- Hilary Duff, From Mike Comrie
- Jennifer Lopez, From Ben Affleck
- Carrie Underwood, From Mike Fisher
- Britney Spears, From Jason Trawick
- Miley Cyrus, From Liam Hemsworth
- Jessica Biel, From Justin Timberlake
- Amber Rose, From Wiz Khalifa
- Celebrities Who Married Young - Barely Legal Brides!
- LeAnn Rimes Was a Bride at 19
- Avril Lavigne Was 21 When She Walked Down the Aisle
- Hilary Duff Said 'I Do' at 22
- Kevin Jonas Proposed at 21, Married at 22
- For Hanson, Marrying Young Runs in the Family
- Kate Hudson Married at 21 After Dating Just a Year
- Solange Got Married in a Hurry
- Can You Believe They're the Same Age?
- Lindsay Lohan and Dianna Agron
- Adele and Hayley Williams
- Florence Welch and Lea Michele
- Lady Gaga and Mary-Kate Olsen
- Fantasia Barrino and Avril Lavigne
- Miranda Cosgrove and Taylor Momsen
- T-Pain and Carly Rae Jepsen
- Celebrity Makeup Makeovers
- Kelly Osbourne
- Christina Aguilera
- Nicki Minaj
- Taylor Momsen
- Lily Allen
- Craziest Backstage Demands
- Jennifer Lopez
- Kanye West
- Mary J. Blige
- Katy Perry
- Mariah Carey