The song -- which is a far cry from her breakout hit "Whip My Hair" -- deals with feminist issues about what society expects from little girls as Willow sings "I tried to be sugar and spice / But I'm melancholy and can't do anything right." This kind of naked honesty at such a young age is a rare gift in a songwriter -- but is the song a cry for help?
Although not yet a teen, Willow has faced criticism for everything from her fashion choices to her decision to shave her head. The youngest Smith has also been caught up in her parents' drama, as rumors of a divorce between Will and Jada have persisted for years now.
Without a doubt, this song will strike a chord with Willow's fans and peers, who were equally moved by her soulful "I Am Me" ballad released last summer that boasted her strong, independent spirit. "Sugar and Spice" sounds like the tearful flip side to that strength. At one point, clips of female voices critiquing and calling another girl ugly are interjected and she also goes as far as singing "inject my soul with darkness."
Do you think Willow is posing a cry for help in this new song or simply channeling her sadness into a beautiful track? Stream the track below and sound off on Twitter -- @AOLMusic.
Listen to Willow Smith's New Track "Sugar and Spice"
See Willow in Our "Most Stylish Music Offspring" Gallery
- Lourdes Leon
- Kingston Rossdale
- Zuma Rossdale
- Willow Smith
- Jaden Smith
- Zoe Kravitz
- Liv Tyler
- Aoki Lee Simmons and Ming Lee Simmons
- Vanessa and Angela Simmons
- Future Baby Jayonce
- Teen Idols Who Lived a Cursed Life
- Andy Gibb
- Aaron Carter
- Bobby Brown
- Leif Garrett
- Danny Bonaduce
- PJ Proby
- Movie Stars With Secret Musical Pasts
- Steven Seagal, 'Songs From the Crystal Cave'
- Clint Eastwood, 'Rawhide's Clint Eastwood Sings Cowboy Favorites'
- Robert Downey, Jr., 'The Futurist'
- John Travolta, 'Let Her In'
- Alyssa Milano, 'Look in My Heart'
- Leonard Nimoy, 'Leonard Nimoy Presents Mr. Spock's Music From Outer Space'
- Ryan Gosling, 'Dead Man's Bones'
- Peter Gallagher, '7 Days in Memphis'
- Brian Austin Green, 'One Stop Carnival'
- Celebrity Makeup Makeovers
- Kelly Osbourne
- Christina Aguilera
- Nicki Minaj
- Taylor Momsen
- Lily Allen
- Celebrities Who Married Young - Barely Legal Brides!
- LeAnn Rimes Was a Bride at 19
- Avril Lavigne Was 21 When She Walked Down the Aisle
- Hilary Duff Said 'I Do' at 22
- Kevin Jonas Proposed at 21, Married at 22
- For Hanson, Marrying Young Runs in the Family
- Kate Hudson Married at 21 After Dating Just a Year
- Solange Got Married in a Hurry
- Can You Believe They're the Same Age?
- Lindsay Lohan and Dianna Agron
- Adele and Hayley Williams
- Florence Welch and Lea Michele
- Lady Gaga and Mary-Kate Olsen
- Fantasia Barrino and Avril Lavigne
- Miranda Cosgrove and Taylor Momsen
- T-Pain and Carly Rae Jepsen