"[Fame is] an amazing thing and it's a platform that you have to take seriously," Dunham, 26, insists during a Jan. 21 interview on Alec Baldwin's "Here's the Thing" podcast. "Which is why sometimes, it's like ... I used to be really into Rihanna, that pop star, and then it's like -- again, I don't want to ever throw stones from my glass house -- but I follow her on Instagram and I just think about how many little girls beyond what I could even comprehend are obsessed with Rihanna."
"Like, you know, she left Barbados," Lena continues of the 24-year-old pop star. "She's had this amazing career, she's won a Grammy ... She's talented. And then she gets back together with Chris Brown and posts a million pictures of them smoking marijuana together on a bed," she says of Rihanna's highly publicized reunion with her physically abusive ex-boyfriend.
"And it cracks my heart in half in a way that makes me feel like I'm 95 years old," Dunham admits.
Lena goes on to reveal that the popularity of her own show helped her realize the importance of her influence as a public figure and potential role model for her fans.
"[I] had to become more conscious about what I say and what I promote, not in a way that stifles me, but just in a way where I realize now that there are 17-year-old girls who come up to me and tell me that the show means a lot to them."
- Can You Believe They're the Same Age?
- Lindsay Lohan and Dianna Agron
- Adele and Hayley Williams
- Florence Welch and Lea Michele
- Lady Gaga and Mary-Kate Olsen
- Fantasia Barrino and Avril Lavigne
- Miranda Cosgrove and Taylor Momsen
- T-Pain and Carly Rae Jepsen
- Can You Believe They're Related?
- Miley and Trace Cyrus
- Jessica and Ashlee Simpson
- Britney and Bryan Spears
- Vanessa and Angela Simmons
- Jonas Brothers and Frankie Jonas
- Natasha and Daniel Beddingfield
- Ashanti and Kenashia Douglas
- Guys Who Love Wearing Makeup
- Adam Lambert
- 30 Seconds to Mars' Jared Leto
- Robbie Williams
- Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong
- Pete Wentz
- Zac Efron
- The Killers' Brandon Flowers
- Boy George