"I couldn't even find someone to go on a date with that I enjoyed their company. Like, it was just rough," she said in a recent interview.
"You don't see it coming. And it sounds cheesy and it sounds like a movie, but it is that though. One day you'll meet them and everything will change."
Clarkson, who calls Nashville, Tenn., her home, is celebrating her one-year anniversary with fiance Brandon Blackstock. (The couple, who have been dating for a year, became engaged in December.) The 30-year-old says she's still surprised she's become that "cheesy" girl and that she wasn't sure she would find true love.
"I always made fun of those people that were like, 'Oh, I met the one. He's amazing,' and I'm like, 'Oh my god, go write a song,'" said Clarkson, the first "American Idol," laughing. "He's like my best friend, and he's someone I want to hang out with all the time."
Blackstock, who manages country star Blake Shelton, will be by Clarkson's side when she attends the Grammys, to be presented Feb. 10 in Los Angeles. Her No. 1 hit, "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)," is nominated for record of the year and best pop solo performance.
"I knew from the moment I heard it that it was going to be huge," she said of her feel-good anthem, which is also up for song of the year (awarded to the writers of the song, which doesn't include Clarkson). "I've heard everything from 'I got out of an abusive relationship' to 'I'm surviving cancer' ... and I think everyone in the world needs that type of song - something that makes you feel empowered."
Her fifth album, "Stronger," is nominated for best pop vocal album. She said she's starting to record her next album and the sound could be a reflection of her relationship with Blackstock.
"I am totally writing cheesy songs," she said. "Maybe he'll piss me off and I'll write a record about that."
She's also busy planning her wedding.
"I don't understand why we aren't eloping," she said. "It's a lot of details and I'm not that girl. I've never been that girl that's like, 'Oh my god, my wedding dress. Blah, blah, blah.'"
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. Active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
- She Thinks Her Small Chest Size Is a Blessing in Disguise
- Her Favorite Party Ever Was a 'White Trash'-Themed Bash
- She's a Spanx Super Fan
- Kelly Has 13 Tattoos to Date
- She's Greek ... And Drinks Olive Oil
- She's an Odd Jobs Extraordinaire
- Her Very First "American Idol" Audition Song Was ...
- The First CDs She Ever Bought Were ...
- Annie Lennox Is Her Not-So-American Idol
- Her Favorite Birthday Treat Is Red Velvet Cake
- Recent Celebrity Splits
- Simon Cowell and Mezhgan Hussainy
- Katy Perry and Russell Brand
- Heidi Klum and Seal
- Ashley Tisdale and Scott Spears
- Johnny Depp and Vanessa Paradis
- Stars Who Have a Type
- Jennifer Lopez: Bald Backup Dancers
- Justin Bieber: Lovely Latina Ladies
- Madonna: Much Younger Foreign Guys
- Jessica Simpson: The Super Buff, Athletic Type
- Justin Timberlake: Buff, Blonde Babes
- Rihanna: Guys With Lighter Complexions and High Cheekbones
- Taylor Swift: Cradle Robbers
- Top Weddings of 2012
- Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel
- Jennifer Hudson and David Otunga
- Hillary Scott and Chris Tyrell
- Ne-Yo and Monyetta Shaw
- Steven Tyler and Erin Brady
- John Legend and Chrissy Teigen
- Jessica Simpson and Eric Johnson
- Britney Spears and Jason Trawick