Michael Loccisano, Getty
In an open letter posted on her whosay, the singer refutes claims made by record executive Clive Davis in his memoir, The Soundtrack of My Life. Kelly claims she feels violated and refuses to be bullied by anyone -- including the famous producer!
"First, he says I burst into 'hysterical sobbing' in his office when he demanded 'Since You Been Gone' be on my album," she writes. "Not true at all. His stories and songs are mixed up. I did want more guitars added to the original demo and Clive did not. Max, Luke and I still fought for the bigger sound and we prevailed and I couldn't be more proud of the life of that song. I resent him dampening that song in any way."
Kelly goes on to explain she did cry once in Davis' office -- but it was after she played him "Because of You."
"I cried because he hated it and told me verbatim that I was a 'sh*tty writer who should be grateful for the gifts that he bestows upon me,'" she says. "He continued on about how the song didn't rhyme and how I should just shut up and sing. This was devastating coming from a man who I, as a young girl, considered a musical hero and was so honored to work with."
The singer also claims Davis blamed her for the My December album not being successful, which Kelly points out went platinum.
The "Catch My Breath" singer ends on a positive note, bringing her focus back to the music.
"Anyway, I love my job. I love my music. I love my fans," Kelly says. "I love my label and all of my professional relationships ... now. And I am grateful for Clive for teaching me to know the difference."
Read Kelly's complete letter here.
Update: On Feb. 20, Clive Davis responded to Kelly Clarkson via his Twitter account: "As anyone who has read 'The Soundtrack of My Life' knows, I think Kelly Clarkson is a tremendous vocal talent and performer. In the book, I provide an in-depth look at our years together during which we shared major multi-platinum success, as well as a few creative differences. I am truly very sorry that she has decided to take issue with what I know to be an accurate depiction of our time together. Before the book was published, I had every fact checked with five independent individuals who were present on a daily basis throughout it all. The chapter as it is written was thoroughly verified by each and every one of them. I stand by the chapter as written in my book. At the same time I wish, and will always wish, Kelly's talent and her career to soar to ever new heights."
- She Thinks Her Small Chest Size Is a Blessing in Disguise
- Her Favorite Party Ever Was a 'White Trash'-Themed Bash
- She's a Spanx Super Fan
- Kelly Has 13 Tattoos to Date
- She's Greek ... And Drinks Olive Oil
- She's an Odd Jobs Extraordinaire
- Her Very First "American Idol" Audition Song Was ...
- The First CDs She Ever Bought Were ...
- Annie Lennox Is Her Not-So-American Idol
- Her Favorite Birthday Treat Is Red Velvet Cake
- Recent Celebrity Splits
- Simon Cowell and Mezhgan Hussainy
- Katy Perry and Russell Brand
- Heidi Klum and Seal
- Ashley Tisdale and Scott Spears
- Johnny Depp and Vanessa Paradis
- Stars Who Have a Type
- Jennifer Lopez: Bald Backup Dancers
- Justin Bieber: Lovely Latina Ladies
- Madonna: Much Younger Foreign Guys
- Jessica Simpson: The Super Buff, Athletic Type
- Justin Timberlake: Buff, Blonde Babes
- Rihanna: Guys With Lighter Complexions and High Cheekbones
- Taylor Swift: Cradle Robbers
- Top Weddings of 2012
- Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel
- Jennifer Hudson and David Otunga
- Hillary Scott and Chris Tyrell
- Ne-Yo and Monyetta Shaw
- Steven Tyler and Erin Brady
- John Legend and Chrissy Teigen
- Jessica Simpson and Eric Johnson
- Britney Spears and Jason Trawick