Christopher Polk, Getty Images
According to UK's Now Magazine, Simon Cowell has reportedly offered the couple $20 million to join the panel.
A source tells the mag, "Simon sees it as a brilliant pairing. Katy's sassy, honest and a huge star, while John's more reserved. Having them as rivals would be genius -- if they had on-air bust-ups, it'd be unmissable."
Katy has some experience being a "X Factor" judge, as she was a guest judge for the show's UK version in 2010 and can even take some credit for helping One Direction find success. It was Katy who decided to send through a then-unknown Niall Horan to boot camp, and the two are still friendly to this day.
Since Britney Spears and L.A. Reid announced they both wouldn't be returning to "X Factor," Simon has been trying to find the perfect person to fill the seats -- and he reportedly thinks John and Katy are the perfect solution.
"Hiring Britney Spears didn't work but this would be the first time a couple appeared on a judging panel together," the source says.
It's still not confirmed if Demi Lovato is returning to the show.
Besides John and Katy, Pink's reportedly another musician Simon is considering for the judging gig.
- John Mayer and Taylor Swift
- John Mayer amd Jennifer Aniston
- Minka Kelly
- John Mayer and Jessica Simpson
- Jennifer Love Hewitt
- Vanessa Carlton
- Katy Perry's Red Carpet Fashion Through the Years
- Katy at Esquire Magazine's 'The Envelope Please' Oscar Viewing Party
- Katy at Step-Up's Fourth Annual "Fashion Forward
- Katy in Concert in Berlin
- Katy at VH1's 14th Annual Critics' Choice Awards
- Katy at the 2009 Grammy Salute to Industry Icons
- Katy at the 51st Annual Grammy Awards
- Katy at the 51st Annual Grammy Awards Press Room
- Katy on the The 52nd Annual GRAMMY Award's Red Carpet
- Katy at the 2010 EMI Grammy Party
- Katy at the 2010 American Music Awards
- Katy at the 2011 Logie Awards
- Katy at the 53rd Annual Grammy Awards
- Katy Perry's Candy Couture
- Katy Perry's Pink Dress and Hat Are Like Cotton Candy
- Katy's Striped Gown Channels a Candy Cane
- It's Katy as ... a Hershey's Kiss?!
- Katy's Fruity Frock Could Be Made of Runts
- The Singer's Dress Makes Us Want a Marshmallow S'more!
- Katy's Orange-Cream Gown Has Us Thinking About Taffy
- Was Perry's Bright Red Heart Dress Inspired by V-Day Chocolates?
- Katy's as Hot as a Stick of Big Red Gum in This Firey Frock